I had a nice email from a person involved at the highest level with ODF yesterday, saying he didn’t think I was being extreme in my recent blogs about contradiction at ISO. Very encouraging and gentlemanly. He also said Well, the gratuitous comments about people whipping up passions may have been a bit much but … I was sure you are as tired of the hype as I am. Quite so.
The reason I made the comments is because we now have comments like the following, which you can find under the comments page of Groklaw. If you don’t follow the anti-OpenXML line, you get accused of bribery, corruption, lack of integrity, etc. Look at them yourself for context, full quotes, less extreme POVs, etc.
- and to all those countries that are going to receive calls and money from redmond just tell them you are busy until the end of year - vote no and see what happens to the money and promises.
- if you can’t compete on merit - bribe
- ISO is *not* a standard any more. They can’t be trusted. If they are with us, they are against us.
- Lisa Rajchel is the ANSI Director, International Secretariats. That explains a lot. We already know Microsoft has people bought off in ANSI…
- Which means that MS will now target all NBs with a lot of astroturfing, cash, propaganda, legal threats and political interference.
- So, this is how standard process works… Why bother? We might as well disband the so called ISO.
- This is starting to raise the issue of ISO overall intergrity. I see the present process as a challenge to ISO integrity. If the IT committee is becoming ’suspect’, then the committees who consider widgets, light switches, etc may start to express serious concern that ISO’s integrity is starting to be compromised.
- Unless ISO is totally corrupt (which I suspecd judgement on), I’d expect a fast track rejection to follow in due course.
- Amazing what money can buy!
- International Sell-Outs: Hurry, buy your standard while the current special lasts! Forget logic, interoperability, compatibility, and previously “approved” standards — all you need is CA$H! Operators are standing by!
Here’s a particularly fine one, in full:
1) Write your own “standard”. Call it TOXXML (TeX XML). Since you’re
so DocBook friendly, you should be able to keep the spec at less than 5,999
pages ;-) which beats OOXLM
2) Submit it to ISO
3) Visit Lisa. Pay her a couple of bucks, brow beat her, or just buy her a
cheeseburger and fries. In return she agrees to fast track your
4) Voila! The world gets another worthless ISO standard
The ISO folks are morons. Microsoft has thumbed their nose at them countless
times: networking, .iso disk format, etc etc etc. But the ISO folks are
apparently too stupid to ask themselves “Why are we helping a company that
doesn’t give a hoot about our work?”
In return for this kind of blatant sell out, they should have gotten billions,
enough for the whole committee to retire and stop being a pain in Microsoft’s
side. Instead they let one person buckle for them, and probably for nothing of
Maybe Ballmer threatened to throw her at a wall? Isn’t she the
“chair” of the committee??
To which there was a good response which I heartily agree with I think PJ needs to update her rules to stop being uptight about naughty words, and address this increasingly nasty culture of bile, venom, and personal attacks.
I don’t want anyone to think that all or even most anti-OpenXML are happy to make wild allegations on absolutely no evidence, libelling and slurring honest people’s reputation. Obviously there is a small few, however, who cannot believe that a fair process can result in results they don’t agree with. That these are people who have typically made absolutely no positive contribuition to the world of standards, as far as one can tell, yet are happy to try to tear down what little progress we have been able to achieve so strenuously, gets my goat.
Fortunately, I think national bodies and committees will examine OpenXML and look at the technical issues without fear or favour; they won’t be bullied by this kind of thing nor will they let their revulsion at their collegues being slurred in this kind of way sway them the other way either. Why do the heathen rage?