Step One: Check to make sure that the .odt isn’t just an .sxw in disguise,
During this “real life” tests, we noticed that all the files created with the online application “Google Docs” were not converted successfully. This was strange enough for us to look in detail at what was wrong. And we found out that Google Docs was simply not able to export to ODF. Actually, the file menu says “Save as OpenOffice” and not “Save as OpenDocument”. The output file is an SXW file (the legacy format from previous versions of Star Office and OpenOffice.org)… with an ODT extension! I don’t know if by doing this way the guys from Google wanted to make people think that they had implemented the ODF format, but that was a nice try! ;-) I guess that they are working hard to achieve the compatibility, but in the mean time our converter won’t be able to open documents made with Google Docs - no need to complain, we have commited to handle OASIS OpenDocument format, not all the formats of the earth!
Step Two: See step one.
XSLT, SchmeXSLT — Just change the file extension and thats it — *POOF* — it’s transformed from one document format to the other!
Uhhhh… Sure. Why not.