I downloaded RC-1 this morning and decided to note how long it took to install and how many reboots are involved. Why? I’ve installed Vista many many times over the past 18 months or so. It seems to have gotten much smoother and a little bit faster. But, it also seems like there are more and more reboots involved. So, here’s what I noted this morning.
- 10:49 - Placed the freshly burned DVD (from downloaded ISO) in the P4 2.8GHz 512MB RAM PC I’ve been using for testing every Vista release so far. It only has a performance rating of “1″ but seems to run acceptably well though I don’t see the fancy Aero Glass UI because of the lack of a dedicated graphics card.
- 11:02 - Clicked the upgrade button to upgrade over Pre-RC1 instead of performing a clean install
- 11:33 - PC rebooted itself
- 11:55 - PC rebooted itself again
- 12:00 - Completed upgrade message appears (but it really hasn’t)
- 12:22 - PC rebooted itself
- 12:24 - Completing Upgrade message appears
- 12:34 - PC rebooted itself
- 12:35 - Setup window allowing changes to locale and time/date appears
- 12:36 - Performance check notice appears (it’s still just “1″, no surprise :-)
- 12:38 - The Vista login screen appears!
- 12:40 - The Windows desktop appears but there is so much background activity that it is not really responding to clicks, etc.
- 12:43 - Background processes fade away and the desktop is usable
So, I saw four unattended reboots (did not require action from me) over the course of nearly 2 hours to upgrade from Pre-RC1 to RC1.