November 17, 2008
Infrastructure Meets Inspiration at Velocity 2009: O'Reilly Conference Opens Call for Participation
Sebastopol, CA, November 17—Want to make your websites fast, scalable, efficient, and reliable? O'Reilly's Velocity, the Web Performance and Operations Conference on June 22-24, 2009, at the Fairmont in San Jose, CA, shows how to develop those traits. Dedicated to helping people build better infrastructures, Velocity offers developers and engineers the key for crossing over from cool Web 2.0 features to sustainable websites. Program chairs Jesse Robbins and Steve Souders have opened the call for participation and invite proposals for conference sessions, panels, and a newly added full day of tutorials at Velocity 2009.
"Web Performance and Operations are critical to the success (and survival) of every company that depends on the web for revenue," adds Jesse. "This year's Velocity will focus on how to get more done with fewer resources, efficient design and scaling techniques, and the best ways to manage change."
Velocity provides the place to learn how to build websites and services that raise the standards for fast, scalable, efficient, and reliable. Pages can be faster. Sites can have higher up-time. Companies can achieve more with less. The next cool startup can scale more quickly and globally to serve a larger audience.
Jesse and Steve ask for authentic, descriptive, and specific proposals on topics including, but in no way limited to:
- How web performance and operations impact the bottom line
- Designing social networking sites for scalability and speed
- Optimization techniques that make websites as fast and reliable as desktop apps
- Serving ads without killing performance
- How to balance blazing performance with cutting-edge design
- Real-world incident management, like a pit crew would
- Metrics: how to measure, what to measure, and what to do about it
- Networking, DNS, and load balancing techniques
- Managed web services: disasters survived and lessons learned
- Capacity planning and load testing
- Open Source tools for monitoring and instrumentation
Velocity will bring together developers, engineers and managers from companies of all sizes, technical executives looking out for the bottom line, CTOs and CIOs seeking to streamline operations, technology evangelists and entrepreneurs pushing their enterprise boundaries, researchers, and academics.
Building on the success of last year's inaugural Velocity, this year's conference offers attendees three intense days of:
- In-depth workshops offering hands-on solutions to real problems
- Two tracks covering the key aspects of Web Performance and Operations
- Inspirational keynote presentations that bring clarity to thorny issues
- Over 600 web developers and experts under one roof
- An Exhibit Hall featuring dozens of the latest tools and products
- Ignite, a rapid-fire showcase of amazing projects and ideas
- Fun evening events, Birds of a Feather sessions, and plenty of networking opportunities
Velocity 2008 sponsors and exhibitors included: Akamai, Google, Hyperic, Sun Microsystems, 3Tera, Cordiant, Keynote Systems, Limelight Networks, Inc., OpSource, Amazon Web Services, BlueArc, ControlTier, DeviceAnywhere, RightScale, Electronic Frontier Foundation, and Webmetrics.
Proposals will be accepted through January 5, 2009, and early registration for attendees and media will open in March, 2009.
Get more information on Velocity
Have ideas about areas you'd like to see included at the conference?
If you'd like to stay up to date on information relating to Velocity, sign up for the conference newsletter (login required)
See Velocity's News & Coverage for the latest news, articles, blogs, photos, and other coverage of last year's event.
View selected presentations from Velocity 2008
Download speaker presentation slides from last year's Velocity
To learn what's on the program chairs' minds, visit Jesse's blog and Steve's blog
Read Tim O'Reilly's take on the future, on the O'Reilly Radar
For information about sponsorship and exhibit opportunities at Velocity, contact Sharon Cordesse at 707.827.7065 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For media inquiries, contact Maureen Jennings at email@example.com.
If you would like to discuss forming a media or promotional partnership with O'Reilly for an upcoming event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
More O'Reilly Conferences:
- O'Reilly Money:Tech Conference in New York City February 4-6, 2009
- O'Reilly Tools of Change for Publishing Conference in New York City February 9-11, 2009
- O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference in San Jose, CA, March 9-12, 2009
- Web 2.0 Expo San Francisco in San Francisco March 31-April 3, 2009, co-produced with Tech Web
- MySQL Conference & Expo in Santa Clara, CA, April 20-23, 2009, co-presented by O'Reilly Media and Sun Microsystems
- RailsConf in Las Vegas, May 4-7, 2009, co-presented with Ruby Central, Inc.
- Where 2.0 Conference in San Jose, CA, May 19-21, 2009
- Found in Burlingame, CA, June 9-11, 2009
- OSCON in San Jose, CA, July 20-24, 2009
- Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, CA, October 20-22
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
O'Reilly conferences bring together forward-thinking business and technology leaders, shaping ideas and influencing industries around the globe. For over 25 years, O'Reilly has facilitated the adoption of new and important technologies by the enterprise, putting emerging technologies on the map.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Press Release Archive »
Media Relations - North America
Media Relations - Germany
Media Relations - Japan
Media Relations - United Kingdom
Media Relations - Conferences