As you can see by my other posts here, I *LOVE* programming. It’s really my 2nd favorite thing on earth. But tonight as I had to do yet-another “web signup form” thing, I just found myself HATING the process.
- new or existing?
- existing? login.
- login correct? give cookie & move to edit form
- not correct - give prompt to email forgotten password or create new
- new? create.
- username available? create in database - give cookie & move to edit form
- not available? give error until unique ID chosen
- form for basic info: name, address, etc
- if editing past info, pre-fill form fields and make [SUBMIT] button an [EDIT] buttong
- if brand new, form fields are blank, and [SUBMIT] button is a [CREATE] button
- Validate everything submitted, relentlessly
- Give errors where crucial things are wrong : repeat form until correct
- move to part two of their signup-form
UGH!! Anyone found an PHP-based shortcut for this dreariness?!? I can’t just cut-n-paste past forms, because each one I’ve done over the years is just different enough, that it would be harder to copy-and-change than just start anew.
But there’s got to be an easier way. This is SO monotonous. I’ve spent dozens of hours of my life doing these. I don’t want to do all this stuff again. So I keep procrastinating.
Those of you who have graduated from this dreariness, please enlighten the rest of us still stuck in it.