Why switch to Mac? According to this San Jose Mercury News article: “Few customers switching from Windows:
New ads haven’t helped Apple gain market share.”
I can think of the following reasons why this is so:
1. Most people are already comfortable with an IBM compatible PC with Windows OS. An Apple Mac with Mac OS X may be easier to learn, but if you are already familiar with a PC with Windows, why switch and deal with a learning curve, even if it’s nearly flat?
2. Looking at PC saturation into most homes and offices, these homes and offices are not going to go out and buy a second computer, even if it’s a Mac.
3. Looking at the economy, few have the disposable income to purchase a Mac as a second computer. Although the Mac computers are more economical than ever, look at the added costs of proprietary Mac software, additional Mac hardware, and accessories.
4. What about digital photography and graphics? Well, the PC has hardware/software options thanks to HP scanning technology and Adobe Photoshop and other software for Windows. Again, Mac users will argue Mac is a better platform. They may be right, but the PC does offer viable options.
5. For developers, the PC is the preferred platform, with or without Windows. Most developers are developing applications to run on the PC or related Servers. Still, few are developing Mac applications, where having a Mac would be beneficial or necessary.
Why switch to Mac?