About 2 weeks ago, my DSL modem started dying a slow, protracted, and painful death. Rather than fork over $80 to Earthlink, I went out to CompUSA and bought a noname modem for quite a bit less. Thanks go to BroadbandReport’s Earthlink DSL FAQ which revealed that I didn’t have to buy direct from Earthlink and pointed out the 0/35 VPI/VCI settings for whichever modem I bought.
Although the new DSL modem worked beautifully, I started having occasional connection problems with iChat AV. After googling turned up this helpful Apple support doc, I tried playing with my ports and firewall on the new modem–unfortunately without much success. After following all the port opening instructions from Apple, after opening all ports, after shutting down all firewalls, I still had connection issues.
Googling around brought me to this further Apple Support discussion which suggested I change my port from 5190 to 443. I opened logged out of AOL, opened iChat preferences, selected Accounts -> Server Settings and updated the login.oscar.aol.com port.
So far, so good but I’m still somewhat mystified as to why this fix seems to be working. Maybe the new port just plays nicer with the new modem. Any insights welcome.