So last night I recorded Heroes in High Def, without incident. It seems as though my EyeTV Hybrid likes certain channels (like NBC) and hates others (like CBS). I live inside the city, very close to most of the transmission towers, which are all compass-wise in the same direction, so I cannot guess why some channels beat others for receptions.
The recording occupied about 7 gigabytes of MPEG-2 transport stream data. I attempted to load it into MPEG Streamclip, but Streamclip could not handle the 7 gigabytes on my 1 GB 1.66 GHz Intel core duo mini. It coughed, it gagged, it wheezed, it gave up the ghost. So I decided to edit the show in EyeTV instead.
This turns out to have been a horrible decision.
(More after the jump…)
After applying my edits and compressing the video down to about 4 GB without commercials, I was able to open it in Streamclip. But even after fixing timecode breaks, I could not export the thing without having major discrepancies between the video track and the audio track. I’m not talking a little slip in the sync, I’m talking minutes upon minutes of difference in time. The audio from one scene played to the video of a completely different scene.
Whatever EyeTV did during compression, Streamclip could not handle it. I was unable to export a single time to a synched video (and trust me, I tried). Yes, I could play back the video in EyeTV and it looks good, sounds good and is in synch, but I could not use Streamclip to get that video to convert down to a watchable compressed and portable format, even after fixing timecode breaks.
So I decided to demux the thing. I used the built-in demultiplexing tools to create MPEG-2 video and MPEG-1 audio streams. It took a while, but Streamclip created them on my desktop. I launched QT Pro and attempted to load them up. No response but the spinning beachball of death–for a very, very long time. Eventually they both loaded. Turns out that the MPEG-1 audio was a bad choice. QuickTime Pro wouldn’t let me copy it. So it was back to Streamclip to create a big old AIFF instead. And yes, I could copy the AIFF, but it turned out that its length was 43:23.71. The M2V file was 40:02.10. That’s well over three minutes different in length, which kind of explains why there were synch problems in the exports. Ai ai ai.
Oh well, back to figuring all this stuff out.