Creative’s Xmod audio enhancer delivers virtual 5.1 surround sound to your headphones or speaker pair. It’s a great little device. Unfortunately, its default settings on the Mac do not let you experience all the great 5.1 sounds you should be hearing.
Here’s how to fix that.
- Connect the Xmod to your computer and your speakers or headphones to the Xmod.
- Open /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup. This application lets you tweak the system settings for your input and output devices.
- Select Creative Xmod from the Default Output pop-up.
- Select Creative Xmod from the Properties For pop-up list.
- Click Configure Speakers. This is a rectangular button to the right of the Clock Source. A settings window opens.
- Click MultiChannel. You’ll find this button at the top-left.
- Choose 5.1 Surround from the pop-up at the top-right.
- Click Apply.
- (Optional) To test any of the virtual speakers, click the rectangle with the speaker name. A brief white noise will sound from that “speaker”.
- Click Done.
- Your configuration is complete. You may quit from Audio MIDI Setup.