Found a great tip on Digg. I can’t quite tell if the author of this is Franc Isreal or Francis Real or Franc Is Real–and since his or her .mac account has currently exploded due to the Digg effect, I can’t really find out from his/her other pages. Here’s a summary of the tip which shows how to enable the iPod Screen Saver.
- Set your iPod options to Enable disk use. This option appears on the iPod Summary tab in iTunes 7. (Here’s a neat, completely unreleated hack on how to do this manually on your iPod.)
- In the Finder, double-click on your iPod icon to open its file browser.
- In the top-level iPod folder (the one with your Notes and Calendar and Contacts), create a new folder (File->New Folder, Command-Shift-N). Name it Demo Mode.
- In iTunes 7, select any Movie file and rename it to Demo.
- Dismount your iPod, but leave it in the charger. After a minute or two, the video named Demo automatically plays and then repeats.