I read that the Sony PSP 2.70 firmware was available in Japan and decided to check if it was also available in the US although the Sony PSP Update page still shows 2.60 as the current firmware version in the US. I used the PSP’s built-in network (wireless) update feature and found that, yep, the 2.70 update is available in the US too. Here’s some info and gotchas.
- The upgrade refuses to proceed if the PSP’s battery is under 50% even if it is plugged into an A/C outlet.
I’m guessing the concern is in the event of a power outage during an upgrade.
I let my PSP charge up to 59% and restarted the upgrade process successfully.
- The PSP appeared to lock up after the upgrade.
I could not even use the on/off switch.
So, I pulled the battery, put it back in and restarted the PSP.
Everything went well after this point, please check directly with Sony if this happens to you.
My experience might be an isolated incident
- Support for Adobe/Macromedia Flash
- Save RSS audio to Memory Stick (previously, podcasts could only be streamed)
- UMD Video L/R button option
- AAC audio file support