This week, I have been mostly getting annoyed by email software. There’s a pattern to it. Mail does something annoying, like taking 20 seconds to delete a message, and in frustration I rush off and download some other client, install it, set it up, try it out, and soon discover it does something else equally, if not more annoying.
Things that annoy me about Mail:
- It takes forever to do stuff
- Some stuff it can’t do at all, like subscribe to folders on my IMAP server
- The activity window: it hogs huge screen space; it doesn’t always show what’s actually going on
- Phantom messages that just disappear
- Search suckage (so, searching “Entire contents” does not include the “From” header, I have to search them both separately. Not really “entire contents” is it?)
(That said, Mail integrates well with everything else in OS X; and Mail Act-On is the most useful plugin for anything in the whole world ever.)
Things that annoy me about Eudora:
- The. Toolbar. Must. Die.
- Anything configurable with x-eudora-settings is, by definition, overcomplicated
- It insists on using its own Out folder instead of the Sent messages folder I want it to use on the IMAP server
- No manner of clicking on links makes them open in the background. Eudora just can’t stop itself from bringing the browser to the front
- Lack of keyboard shortcuts; moving a message from the inbox to one folder on my IMAP server requires too many clicks
(That said, Eudora is faster than anything else around, and the searching is second to none.)
Things that annoy me about Thunderbird:
- Why do message windows have to display the next message when I’ve finished with the last one? When I’ve finished with a message, I just want the window to close
- Can’t get links to open in the background
- Why does it have to be so fiddly to make everything happen in plain text? I know people who prefer plain text email are getting thin on the ground these days, but don’t we at least deserve a simple “Send all mail as plain text” preference widget?
(That said, Thunderbird is faster and better behaved than Mail, and does pretty much everything I need. It’s only niggly details that stop me from using it.)
What software has annoyed you today?