iPhoto 5 users have a patch waiting for them via Software Update. I ran through my checklist of desired fixes, including some of those from readers that were discussed at the end of my A RAW Look at iPhoto 5 article. Here’s a brief summary of what’s changed and what hasn’t.
- It’s now much easier to drag albums into folders.
- My test .mp4 movie that would not import before, now uploads smoothly into iPhoto 5.0.1
- I experienced fewer bumps in the road exporting slideshows to iDVD.
- Performance in general seems more snappy (but it’s always hard to tell if this is wishful thinking or reality).
- Apple says that iPhoto 5.0.1 does a better job of importing iPhoto 4 albums. I can’t verify this. I was lucky and didn’t have any problems before.
- I still cannot import .wav files created by my digital camera, often referred to as “sound annotations.”
- Movie and RAW metadata (in the Photo Info panel) is still sparse.
I’m happy to see such a quick update to both iPhoto 5 and iMovie HD. Let me know how iPhoto 5.0.1 works for you.