Because I have been traveling with writer/story editor extrordinaire Kate Pattison from Oxfam, and since we are on a tight deadline—Aperture has proven invaluable.
When I had time to edit, I got rid of the unusable stuff by rejecting those images (9-Key) and deleting them. This freed up some library space as well as psychologically felt good by tightening up my library with only images that have a chance of being used in some context in the future. I liken this feeling to cleaning up my office or getting my car washed or having all clean laundry—I’m ready and energized to move forward.
An outdoor Church in Mozambique. Photo Copyright Steve Simon
In Aperture, I went to “All Images” and saw that there were 4907 images in my library. I selected them all and corrected the time encoded on each frame by choosing the correct time-zone. I love this feature in Aperture. I can leave my camera’s clock set to New York time and simply adjust the entire take using the Batch Metadata Change in Aperture.
Sadly, my Fuji camera had the wrong New York date and time information and I couldn’t figure out a way to change this first, so Aperture could then adjust the time zone. Fortunately the vast majority of my images were not shot on the Fuji, so this wasn’t a big issue. Aperture only adjusts from the original time encoded on each file. So if it was set for March 5, 2006 at a certain time instead of September 4, 2007 at the correct time, Aperture would make the time-zone adjustment, but only from the original “wrong time”.
The time the photograph is taken is important for Aperture users since it directly correlates to the much-loved auto-stacking feature, which allows you to coral stacks of images taken within certain time periods up to a minute. It’s also important for me when I set the image sequence by Date, allowing me to see the chronological sequence of my multi-day shoot.
Since the Fuji images were all out of sync time wise, I had to manually move these images into the right order with the others that were all together in the sequence they were taken. (Important for the Slideshow feature for example, when you want to have a show of images from the first to the last taken).
Information embedded into our images is a powerful thing. It makes it easier to find specific images, which may not be a huge deal now, but add 10 more years of shooting to your archive and trying to find something shot yesterday may be more challenging.
Once I had the time adjusted, I was ready to update my caption info. You may remember from a previous post that I had made some metadata pre-sets for the shoot. This was just to get some basic information into the files. Now it was time to finesse and add more detail to the metadata.
Photo Copyright Steve Simon
Since Kate was taking detailed notes and names along with all the pertinent ID data to identify people in group shots, I simply took her word file on a USB Key and copied it to my computer. It was a simple matter of cut and paste to take the pertinent info and paste it into the captions.
With a set of metadata presets matching the corresponding albums, I could quickly do a Batch Change to copy all the pertinent metadata to each of the image files in the albums. Worked like a charm and fast.
After I had all the images together in their respective albums with all the info embedded in each file, I was ready to do a preliminary edit before bringing my colleague Kate into the process. More on my post shoot process next post.
Sheep’s Head, a popular food in Mozambique. Photo Copyright Steve Simon