For lots of people, the upgrade to Lightroom 1.2 seems to have gone smoothly. Mikkel describes it as a maintenance upgrade. For me, however, it wasn’t quite as smooth. After upgrading, I’d run into spinning beachballs that required a force quit. I’d also run into images where Lightroom would put up the “Working” notice and never render out the image. And, more than a few times, some images in the develop module were displayed from their thumbnail view and all pixellated.
The first thing I tried to fix things was to reinstall Lightroom. I didn’t expect this would solve anything, but it was the least invasive option I could think of. Unfortunately, even after totally clearing Lightroom off of my system and putting 1.2 on, the problems persisted. This meant that the source of the issues weren’t with Lightroom itself, but with something else. And that something else was likely my catalog. Not a pleasant thought, especially when you are on the road in a hotel room a third of the way around the planet from home.
The next thing I tried was to optimize the library. I didn’t expect that this would help either, but I was still looking for non-invasive options. After letting Lightroom restart and rebuild its database, the problems were still there.
At this point, I was pretty much out of easy ideas. I thought about possibly downgrading to Lightroom 1.1 for the duration of my trip to see if that took care of things, but I was actually quite concerned about taking this step. I didn’t know if the database schema was updated at all for 1.2 and would run correctly with 1.1.
Trying not to panic, I started to really think about what was going on. It seemed to me that the problems that Lightroom was having had something to do with displaying previews that it had built and stashed in its preview database. So, I trashed the preview database for my catalog. When I started up Lightroom, it had to rebuild all the thumbnails but other than that, the results seem to be all positive. The issues with displaying images seem to be gone and things seem to be running quite a bit more smoothly.
Hopefully, your update experience went much more smoothly than mine, but if you run into image display problems you might want to try moving your preview database out of the way and see if that helps things out.