We have significantly improved the snapshot interface for doing MySQL backups using ZRM. This work has been released as part of ZRM 2.0. ZRM 2.0 has couple of snapshot plugins - Linux LVM and Solaris ZFS that uses the interface.
Changes in ZRM 2.0:
* Solaris packages
* ZRM clients for Linux (RPM/Debian) and Solaris
* Tested on Gentoo distribution
* Improved Snapshot plugin interface
* Solaris ZFS snapshot plugin
* Backup of remote servers using snapshots
* Asychronous checksum computation for improved backup performance
* Backup compression on the fly for logical backups
Download it from Zmanda downloads page and give it a try. I will write more about how to use the plugin interface next week.