Article:
  JBoss: Sun Needs Us
Subject:   Big mouth, little facts
Date:   2002-03-23 08:45:21
From:   tom_1
Response to: Lay it on a little thicker, why don't you

> It costs $20k


Please provide a reference to this information. I don't believe you for one second.


Looking at how successful the JBoss Group is in selling their JBoss server training, it would take them less than a week's worth of work to get this amount of money if that was all it would take (which it is not). Just in case you are able to do a little research, go dig out why Lutris for example couldn't get certified *while distributing source for their product*. You can read, can't you?


> ask everyone who uses JBoss to contribute $1


They would not need to ask anything. But then, the sum you fathomed up is not in any way in touch with the reality here.


> I know I'd contribute to getting this product certified


Yeah right. blah blah blah. I don't see you contributing jack shit. "But I *would*," you say. Yeah never heard that one before.


Big mouth, little hands.


> I'd be much happier if you DIDN'T make that choice.


No one is asking you, you do not contribute in the integration work or maintenance of Tomcat integration. Tomcat was the only supported servlet engine for long while. It made sense to go with another product where the core developers are much more responsive and capable of meeting the needs that exist to integrate a servlet engine into a J2EE platform. Tomcat had its chance, now it looks like Jetty is much more better option. But hey, it's all open source. Go ahead and work on Tomcat integration. No one is stopping you. I will however bet my $1 of "certification donation" that you're unable to produce a single line of solid code.


> I don't trust you.


Read the fucking LGPL license. When you understand it, come back again.


Tom



Main Topics Oldest First

Showing messages 1 through 1 of 1.

  • Big mouth, little facts
    2002-03-24 20:16:28  mattd2 [View]

    Read my further posts for information. I just requested the certification stuff from Sun. As I recall the price was $20,000. In any case, Fleury's own comments from the JBoss site state EXPLICITLY that they didn't want to pay.

    If you, Tom, think that the owner of a license can't reclaim it from an OpenSource license, you're wrong. See Lutris.

    As to "solid code," you don't know anything about me on which to base that determination. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the job I do if I couldn't write one single line of solid code.

    Tell me where to send my money and I will send it. I would contribute money. I won't contribute code. But then again, I never said I would. I like to do other things in my free time. OpenSource projects give me a lot of benefits. In particular, I work for a small company which can't afford to pay BEA and IBM the exorbitant prices they charge. We use JBoss because it's 1) the best, and 2) cheap. I wouldn't have my job without them so I would contribute money. JBoss kicks ass, I think that Mark Fleury doesn't. That's my opinion.

    On Jetty: I think Fleury's being disingenuous here. Try out Tomcat and Jetty together, see which 1) has better performance, 2) is easier to use and deploy on. For my money, it's Tomcat. For all practical purposes though, we use JBoss with Jetty in our setup.

    On Lutris (again): Your comment is exactly at odds with what Fleury has said on his site. He said that Lutris was lying. Here's the page: http://www.jboss.org/licensesun.jsp

    My comments about trusting Fleury come from a whole host of comments both on the boards and these type of little forums where he warps reality.