Article:
  Failing Miserably, If Not Inventively
Subject:   Relavance in irrelevance
Date:   2004-02-10 08:51:06
From:   rufwork
Response to: Irrelevance

I believe the quote was the author's backhanded attempt to admit to a neurosis, and one that I share (though luckily not quite so encompassingly; it usually only affects me when I'm coding, not with iTunes and other daily tasks).


Though I do feel OraNet is losing a little in article quality recently, I did find this one interesting. Why does Apple break backwards compatibility so often (it's done it a few times to me developing Java)? What are the implications of a "user-friendly" *NIX? Are you really forced, as a developer, to exclude 2% of your customer base to satisfy the other 98% out of the box?


And are those 20 hours of neurosis-satisfying remedy-making really helping you in the long run every time? Isn't it time to get help? ;^)


More seriously, the easiest way to get what it sounds like he needs is to reinstall 10.2. What do you need on 10.3 that forces an upgrade, anyhow? Other than Java 1.4.2, I can't think of any dealbreaker about 10.3 from my limited box. Dual-boot sounds like the answer. Good luck with the neurosis.

Full Threads Oldest First

Showing messages 1 through 1 of 1.

  • Relavance in irrelevance
    2004-02-15 05:26:45  phummers [View]

    Here's the dual-boot scenario that I would recommend: second system--NetBSD!

    That giant sucking sound is OSX compared with any (other?) BSD--NetBSD is free, it'll run on your Mac, and like a real Un*x, is _so_much_more flexible

    OSX is worth keeping around, IMO, for iTunes