Women in Technology

Hear us Roar

  Top Ten Digital Photography Tips
Subject:   RE: Using a camera where no flash is allowed
Date:   2003-11-07 13:37:13
From:   derrick
Response to: Using a camera where no flash is allowed

For film cameras, you would want a faster speed film in low light situations with the flash turned off. ISO 800 speed print film and 400 speed slide film are much improved these days over just a few years ago.

Then find a steady surface to rest the camera on, put it in program mode, and use the self-timer to trip the shutter. You should get pretty good images that way.

Full Threads Oldest First

Showing messages 1 through 1 of 1.

  • RE: Using a camera where no flash is allowed
    2007-05-12 21:07:39  John.H [View]

    Use a faster film NOT a slower film. Usually ASA OR ISO 400 is good enough.

    If particularly dim conditions are experienced use an even faster film such as 800. Set film speed on camera and let it take care of working things out.

    Some museums and other public buildings will not let you set up a tripod for fear of tripping someone, or blocking traffic - so holding camera still may be a problem for some people. If you are concerned about this then consider carrying a MONOPOD - like a one legged tripod.

    Make sure you understand the difference between slide film and print film.

    Before any once in a life-time trip splurge on a couple of rolls of film and practice in museums and art galleries in your home area.

    John H - Ex RN Photog.